Tuesday 13 March 2012

L'orphelinat Espoir D'enfant

Dear Readers,

I wanted to update you on what I have been up to the past few days. On Sunday I went to Brownie's house for lunch, it was very nice. I had a delicious lunch and met people who work in the peace corps. After lunch Brownie, Matt, an American couple who are volunteering at a school here, and I went to a salt water pool, it was very refreshing. There was a large group of Lebanese people at the pool, it made me miss home so much when they spoke arabic; "yellah! khalas! ta3l!" ahh <3

We past by the "gate of no return"which was the gate that slaves left Africa from to go to the US. The slave trade is a huge and devastating part of the history in Benin. Brownie told me that Benin was the first country to recognize the involvement of African people in the slave trade, the people who sold the slaves to the Americans. She told me that when she was a young girl in Virginia the schools were not integrated and that you couldn't go to an integrated school at that time if you wanted to. There were separate fountains for black people and they were forced to sit at the back of the bus - it's all the things I and people my age and even older learned in American history class, its amazing to me that she was alive to witness this social travesty and that she has seen with her own eyes the transition of the social behaviour and the change for the better. She has experienced both ends of the slave trade spectrum, the American and the African, and she has selflessly left a life of luxury in the states to come to countries in West Africa and Jamaica where she has devoted her life to helping others by offering them education, opportunities, and love. She is a true inspiration and I think everyone can learn something from this incredible woman.


On Monday I finally managed to exchange my money and buy a local sim card. I visited the orphanage another NGO is opening in Ouidah, it is simple but accommodating. It will be able to fit around 20 children but they still need to get furniture before children can start to live there. Later in the afternoon Brownie came to the volunteer apartment and took me to L'orphelinat D'espoir (the orphanage of hope) which is the orphanage I am volunteering in. Ok, it is hard for me to explain how amazing it was to meet the children. The word amazing doesn't hold enough significance and meaning to begin to describe how I felt. When Brownie and I walked in through the gate all the children turned and stared, the moment we said bonsoir they all ran up to Brownie and I and crossed their arms and bowed their heads and said "bonsoir, bonsoir, bonsoir", it was the cutest thing I have ever seen in my life. Then they, one by one, introduced themselves saying their name, age, and what grade they are in. The youngest child is 2 and the oldest is 17. The older children introduced themselves in English because they start learning English in the 7th grade. Brownie and I brought them cookies and then the all sang and danced for us, even I joined in the dance at one point! It was so charming and adorable, I wish there was a better way I could share my experience and how it made me feel. I feel so lucky to know that I will be playing with, caring for, and loving these children. They are so well-behaved and appreciative and you can see within a few minutes of meeting them how much they care for one another. They truly act like brothers and sisters, all 52 of them.

Today (Tuesday) I went to the orphanage at 9 o'clock. We played games all morning and I took pictures of them and just like the four boys I met by the restaurant, they were so entertained with my camera and seeing themselves in a digital picture. The walk to the orphanage is pleasant, its about 10 minutes from the volunteer apartment. Brownie told me that I will get to know everyone I pass on my way to the orphanage in about three days. People love to introduce themselves and say hello, it is really such a pleasant social behaviour, one that I have never really experienced before. At the orphanage they have a big chicken coop, which is actually brilliant because the chickens provide them with a healthy and constant source of food, eggs. I came back to the volunteer apartment at 1 to have lunch and a bit of a rest. The three oldest boys came with me with a 'pus pus' (a cart) to carry the 5 bags of things I brought for them back to the orphanage. I am going back at 4 so spend some more time and see that everyone gets some of the goodies.


That's all for now!

A bientot!









Oh I wanted to mention that the shell in Brownie's hand used to be the currency here in Benin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment