Monday 16 January 2012

To Rabies or Not To Rabies?

Hello!


Today I went to get the recommended vaccinations, Typhoid, Meningitis, Hepatitis A, and Rabies. I had all my regular boosters up to date so I was only in need of 5 vaccinations, the fifth being the required yellow fever vaccine, which I have to get in a governmental clinic because it is required in order to get my visa.


So I got the first three, Typhoid, Meningitis, and Hepatitis and it went fine. (Meningitis had a little sting to it though)
However, the last vaccine was the rabies vaccine, which has 3 injections in total. I came in thinking I would get it and as nervous as I already was, because I (like most people) am not a fan of injections, it didn't help when the doctor kindly informed me that the rabies vaccine "was quite a jab." However, when I went to the nurse to get my vaccines she told me that because I will be in a small city with a hospital near by that has post-bite rabies vaccinations, she did not see it as a necessary precaution. She just warned me to stay away from any stray animals and I guess that is simple enough. I am still considering the option because she told me at the end of the day it is up to me, however, I think that the rabies vaccination is one I can safely avoid. phew!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Emma, I got to your blog though The Humanity Exchange website. My girlfriend opted to not get the Rabies vaccine either for the same reasons...as well as recommendations by several doctors and people who've been to Africa. She's in Kenya right now. The rabies shot is also very expensive...so that was a bit of a deterrent as well.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete