Thursday 1 March 2012

Malaria, Medications & Must Haves!



Hello Readers, 

Today I went to the pharmacy to buy various medications that I need, most importantly, my malaria medication. Which type of malaria medication to buy was something that took me a while to decide upon. I was looking at three different options, Malarone, Doxycycline, and Mephaquin. Malarone is a tablet that you must take daily and it costs around 250 dirhams (approx. $70) for 12 tablets. I need around 70-80 tablets. They say it is one of the malaria medications with the fewest side-effects, but the cost was too high for the amount of tablets that I needed. The second option, Doxycycline, is also a daily tablet and it is an antibiotic. It costs 34 dirhams (approx. $10) for 10 tablets. It is not specifically made to fight malaria but it does fight the disease like other malaria medications do. The last option was Mephaquin. Mephaquin costs 34 dirhams (approx. $10) for 6 tablets but it is taken once a week on the same day of the week. It is specifically for malaria. I chose Mephaquin in the end and I am taking my first tablet today because I have to start one week before my departure. Like all of these medications it has side-effects. The most common ones are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. but it also has neurological side-effects like poor sleep, hallucinations, paranoia, and mood swings. If you thought I was crazy for doing this before, be aware that I might get even crazier! The doctor told me to take my malaria medication straight after breakfast so that I do not get stomach aches and the power of the medication is soaked into my body along with the nutrients from my food. I am hopeful that these side-effects don't affect me, but if they do, depending on the severity, I will either stick it out or change my medication. 



I also bought a whole bunch of other medications like diflucan (fights yeast infections), ciprofloxacin (antibiotic for the stomach), panadol extra,  antibiotic spray for cuts, band-aids, fucidin (antibacterial cream), cold and flu medicine flutab & nurofen (day & night), prolyte (electrolight powder that re-hydrates the body from the loss of water and salt caused by diarrhea), Imodium (stops chronic diarrhea), potassium permanganate (a powder that you mix with water to wash food like fruits and vegetables), an asthma pump (in case I have any wheezing or tightness in the lungs, as I was prone to wheezing as a child), cough medicine, and I also bought vitamins that I will take daily to help my immune system, digestive system, teeth, bones, skin, nails, hair, muscles, brain, etc. (vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, female multiple, and cod liver oil).  I think I am all set in the medicine department.



BUT if anyone can think of any other medicine that I may want/need to take as a precaution please tell me in the comment box, Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment